Archived Show Notes for Find the Geeks

A journey of how members manage productive (or sometimes even an unproductive) lifestyles daily.
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 11

August 11th – Music
One of the ways to break the silence

Action plans have helped in creating more content for reflections. I did notice one thing that I haven’t been doing as much since August started…..and that’s music. Haven’t listened to a song to help me focus on a task. I’ve been doing most things in silence…….

- Breaking the silence: What it means when you have all this time and you’re quickly looking for something to occupy it
- My selection of music
o Nothing special, just Synthawave, Classical, sometimes Jazz
- Thinking about “What’s next”?
- Maintaining workflow
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 12

August 12th – Resources (Vlog)
Once they come up, completing that goal all of a sudden makes sense!

I had a goal for completing a certain amount of internship applications a day and I didn’t work on this for awhile until I came up to a Discord server where someone pinned this information to get started. Well it was more like a list of companies but it sure was helpful enough to get started.
  • Discussion boards often share resources by contributing to the community after having received help in the past
  • Resources are that small step of motivation to get you started with that goal/project
    • Often times it feels impossible to get it done without them
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 13

August 13th – Structure (Vlog)
How you layout your content everyday

As I think about the episodes that I’ve created, I wonder about the structure of where my content takes place. For many, episodes are enough to show a wide variety of topics. Seasons sound more focus.
  • Why a structure of content matters in productivity
  • Priorities that act like categories
    Tasks that act like subcategories
  • Examples
  • Working on school related work
    Classes
    Homework
    Where to find the information
  • Working on book related work
  • Completing the book with your own content
    Adding sources or personal experiences
    Finding an editor
    Finding a publisher
    Deadline
  • Structure is a planned out before starting
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 14

August 14th – Work
Create work for others so you get more things done!

It’s times like these when you’re working on multiple applications, you want someone else to do the work for you so that you can shave off an extra hour from your day. It’s a comfortable feeling in having more time to do other things.
  • What made you decide to change things around?
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 15

August 15th – Exploring Kanban
Using productivity planning and experimenting with one project

Kanban hasn’t been something I’ve thought about using with a project. My style of productivity used to come from a whiteboard or a wall filled with sticky notes. This is something worth exploring due to project urgency.
  • How to put project deadlines and a productivity planner like Kanban together
    • Backlog
    • Doing
    • Done
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 16

August 16th – Sources on Kanban (Vlog)
Two books that come to mind on productivity

Personal Kanban: Mapping Work | Navigating Life by Jim Benson is one of the books I read about on Kanban. If you want to get started on building your own Kanban, Chapter 1 and 2 give you the fundamentals on getting started.

How to Take Smart Notes by Sonke Ahrens is another book that gives you a more comfortable mindset around organizing ideas and notes for a book project. I haven’t explored this book, although I intend to find out more as it was recommended to me by a friend in placing notetaking to the next level.
  • Personal Kanban
    • Chapter 1 and 2 – Fundamentals
  • How to Take Smart Notes
    • Based on established psychological insight from notetaking
    • Meaning that there are case studies focused around notetaking, with the goal of optimizing sporatatic, random notes all over the place to a mindmap, similar to how synapses connect neurons in our brains
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 17

August 17th – Mobility (Vlog)
When the aches and pains slow your day down

If your project requires hard labor and back breaking work, start planning out some stretches in the morning. Give yourself that extra boost you’ve been looking for, when getting started with your day.
  • Supple Leopard book as one of my sources
  • Items to invest in
    • Yoga mat
    • Lacrosse Ball (1 single and 2 for taping up into a peanut-shaped object)
    • Foam Roller
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 18

August 18th – Projects
5th month of this so far

Looking back on this accomplishment, I feel that there is much more to expect for the upcoming semester and possible work into my schedule. It feels good to know what you’ve completed for the month and it serves as a great reminder that leaves more space for improvement.
  • Creating new projects
  • Missing the same deadline for one project
    • And yet… you still owe it to yourself to complete that project
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 19

August 19th – Challenges
When one day isn’t enough

Challenges are not easy to take in on one day. You may need more practice, more days, a habit to build, than just one day of feeling good about completing them in the first place.
  • Rubber Ducking Code
  • Starting out small
  • Having a friend to work with
    • In the scope of having someone there as if you’re in a study group
Frank
Site Admin

Episode 20

August 20th – Ideas (Vlog)
When thoughts come in mind

Every once in awhile you have an idea you want to put into action. Other times, you want an idea to relate to another topic or a book. Making the connection from your resources via search helps to broaden the idea.
  • My thoughts around one of my books: Hunger by Knut Hamsun
    • The idea of comfort zone